Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hospital Shenanigans

Ahh... there is nothing like keeping life interesting than another trip to Emergency Department! Our family may need to apply for VIP status... :P

This might be very obvious advice.. but just for the record, let it be known that I absolutely do not condone children holding or basically even looking in the same direction as a coat hanger.

So Sunday night.... Jacob and I are sitting on the couch having a little cuddle, playing around. Lewy is cooking up a storm in the kitchen and all is well in our household. Next thing I know, Jacob has managed to pick up a broken coat hanger and for the fun of it, hit me in the eye.

(Just to fill you in, we are repainting our bedroom, so there are coat hangers and clothes in easy reach .. sooo..)

Just imagine that the next 5 minutes contain, me freaking out holding my eye almost crying, Jacob crying because of the shock, Sam trying to calm Jacob down and Lewy trying to get me show him the damage... of course in my mature sensible state of mind I said he couldn't look at it because that way he couldn't tell me how bad it was.. therefore everything would be okay and I wouldn't have to deal with the problem. Makes perfect sense right? :P

Lewy finally manages to get me to take my hand off my eye and says so calmly (after screwing up his face, which I absolutely DID notice), 'oh babe, don't worry but you have to go to emergency'.. to which I completely freak out, start shaking and cry. Did I mention how brave I am?! My fear stemming from the fact that I was convinced I was now blind and would be permanently scarred.

I'll cut a very long story short... I went to Swan Districts, told that it would require plastic surgery, assured over and over how very lucky I was that it didn't get my eye... and guys, let me tell you - it's nothing short of a miracle. If you saw the damage to my lower eye lid, and how close it was to my eye - you would agree. I'm VERY VERY lucky.


So they patched me up as best they could, and sent me home for the night, with instructions to report to Royal Perth Hospital at 8am Monday morning. Which I did. Even longer story short, I finally made it to surgery at 4pm. One minute I feel like I'm going to pass out.. .next I wake, all patched up :) The surgeon did an amazing job.


I have to rave about the care I got. Public health system? We are a lucky country. It may not be perfect all the time, but .... we are so lucky. I couldn't fault anyone.. the doctors/nurses... they treated me so well and were beyond caring.

I'm very happy to be home, and it's back to work (reality) tomorrow as if nothing ever happened... except that now I have a lovely black and swollen eye to show off :P

Make sure you put those coat hangers out of reach... :)

3 comments:

Claire said...

Trust me, I didn't have to see it in the flesh to know how lucky you were that you didn't lose your eye!!! My gosh, so scary!! So glad you're OK and the surgery was a success! Big hugs! xxx

izzie said...

WOW! So thankful you are ok, and glad they got you in so quickly and did a great job! Such a blessing!!!

Jot said...

What a terrible ordeal! But I'm glad you got such great treatment, we really are lucky to have our public health care system. Hope you're feeling a lot better now.