Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tea & Chocolate Mousse

I have a little story I have been wanting to share, from an experience I had whilst in hospital. A 20 minute experience, that I'll probably never forget.

So, I had just come out of surgery after having my eye stitched up, I was being wheeled back to my room and still pretty drowsy. My room was nice and dimmed, and the nurse was checking my blood pressure etc while I was trying to wake up. I couldn't see very well, I was tired. I could make out a girl in the room, who asked if I wanted something to eat. And considering I hadn't eaten since 8pm the night before, and it was now 5pm the next day.. I was pretty excited about getting some food into my stomach :)

The nurse left, and a little bit later the girl came back with some sandwiches, chocolate mousse, fruit and a cup of tea. She told me that she didn't know what kind of sandwiches I wanted so bought a stack I could choose from. I loved her :) She left the room and came back a little while later to ask if I wanted more food or drinks. I told her I loved the mousse and could really go another cup of tea.. and before long she was back with the goods :)



While I was sipping my tea, she lingered and asked about my eye.. so I told her the story and we easily fell into conversation. Guys... sometimes you meet people, and they leave such an impression on you, you never forget them. This girl ...she was one those people. We automatically had a connection.. I don't know why, but it was there and in 20 minutes, she told me her life story. To which I wanted to pull that girl into my arms and hug her forever. A horror story if ever I heard one. But that's not the thing I will remember about her. It was her unbelievable attitude. She was not a victim, oh no... she cherished life, she thrived and vowed to make the most out of her life no matter what. Her positivity and brightness was catching. We had the most wonderful conversation in the shortest time possible, I showed her pictures of my boys, she told me about her family... I asked her if she was working the next day, she told me that she was working for an agency, and it was her last day at Royal Perth, and she was finishing in 5 minutes.

I told her I was so happy to meet her... she told me the same, and told me to treasure my boys.. and we said goodbye. She was 20 years old, she was beautiful inside and out. Her view of life, her attitude, her story? I will try to remember this when I worry about things that don't deserve a second of worry.

x



1 comments:

Claire said...

What a lovely story :-)