Friday, February 24, 2012

Technology

I wasn't going to update the blog tonight... purely because I haven't done anything that is worth posting about. :P But then the TV (or more accurately, the Play Station in which I was streaming TV through) started to do stuff that I didn't know what it was doing. If you didn't understand that last sentence, it's because you have to be pretty technologically savvy to grasp the high tech description. It's true.

Why didn't I ask Lewy to fix the stuff? Well... he is alllll the way in the lounge room, and I'm  alllll  the way in the bedroom. It's just too hard :P

So, here I am.

I do have a bit of news. I have officially sent through my commitment to sponsor a child for 12 months through The Smith Family Foundation. I really can't wait to get the information pack about my child (yep, they are now a part of our family :) without having to endure pregnancy and childbirth... phew!).

I had the privilege today of listening to one of my work colleagues open up about her life ... while the hustle and bustle of the office was going on around us, she took a few moments to quietly share some things she was dealing with. We didn't talk for long, but long enough to form a connection about life and hardship.

You know how I have always said my dream is to be a missionary? Well, today.. while we were whispering for those few moments... I had the realisation that my heart for missions can be fulfilled right in my back yard. And I'm not talking about preaching and trying to convert ... oh no, that's definitely not my style. I'm talking about the simple act of listening to others and offering an empathetic shoulder, support and gentle encouragement. Simple. And really, isn't that what life is all about? Loving each other, caring and supporting when we can?  Not with an ulterior motive.. just simply to love. 

I used to think .. in my oh so naive and enthusiastic young age... that I had to do something BIG. I had to go overseas to make an impact. More and more, I realise .. my purpose is to love those around me. My children, husband, family, friends, colleagues and strangers I come into contact with. Like my Dad always said, you have to take care of your own backyard, before you can take care of the rest.  And that is sitting really well with me.

I'm trying. (Very trying some might say ha!).. seriously though. Sometimes I might become self absorbed and fail to reach out and love those around me.. but I am human, it will happen. The main thing is I keep trying and love others in the best way I know how.

~~~~~~~~~

The final paper lantern came down just yesterday.


I liked seeing them still hanging there days after the party... and I'm still feeling the warmth and fun from Sam's special day. He still talks about it. Tonight he was asking about Pass-The-Parcel, and we relived the moment again.


Someone really did enjoy that popcorn! Um. Excuse me. There are two dots on the wall. Why is that? Even though I'm in the bedroom right now, my OCD is going to reach boiling point and I'll have to go and sort that issue out!


This year.. 2012.... such a positive, growing year. I'm in love with it already :)

1 comments:

Claire said...

What a beautiful post :-) You are one of the most lovely, caring, compassionate, kind, empathetic people I know xxx

Fantastic news on sponsoring your new family member!