Monday, August 27, 2012

Mental Health Day

An old boss of mine used to say that every now and then, we need to take a Mental Health Day. Translated this means, when you are at your wits end and overextended in every way.. it's good to take a day off and recover before you end up in a mental institution.

Today was that day for me. I had used up all my sources of energy, my stress levels were sky high, my brain was frazzled, I was worn out in every possible way. So I knew for my sanity and well-being, I needed a time out. 


Today was exactly what I needed... in every possible way. I started my morning by letting in my cleaner, to work her magic on  my house while I went out. This is progress right there.. usually I'd waste a day off by cleaning myself, but not today! Oh no. I had bigger and better plans.

Val had given me a gift voucher to a beauty salon for my birthday, so I booked myself in for a massage. Bliss.. complete bliss.

Waiting for the massage, in my Toms - otherwise known as the most comfortable shoes on the planet. :P
After the massage, I spontaneously invited myself to Val's house for a one hour power counselling session! A coffee later, and I was starting to feel human again. You're a great friend Val, my angel in disguise today :X

Then I headed to Koorong Bookstore for some leisurely browsing of the shelves. It was wonderful. They have a Cafe at this bookstore, so I relaxed with some lunch and to browse my books. Guys.. I was by myself in a bookstore, having lunch, by myself. By myself. :P


My final purchases. I'm a massive fan of C.S Lewis. Love his work. Can't wait to get into these books.


After the bookstore, where I spent 1.5 hours, I decided to surprise Sam by picking him up from school and heading to the park for some one on one time. It was lovely. "We're going on a bear hunt, we're going on a bear hunt, we're going to catch a big one.... " We had fun :)


Oh the concentration!




I may never take these shoes off..






After the park, we took a walk down the road to a construction site that we pass every single day on the way to daycare/school. Sam is obsessed with this place and always talks about the machinery and trucks they have here and what they might be building. So he was very excited to take a walk past. He is trying to peak around the corner to check out what is happening.


A little bit upset that the truck was parked and not going to drive past him.



After a special dinner, prepared by my Mum (thanks Mum.. delicious!) ... the boys settled in for some popcorn and wind down time watching cartoons. Love my boys .. they love sharing the little couch and wrapping up in blankets.



I needed today. I needed the break and the time out to wander around doing whatever I wanted to do. To take some time to think and process. I've got some changes to make to my every day life, so that I don't end up in this place again. But today... I am feeling refreshed, and that's exactly what I needed.

0 comments: