Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 22 - Race #1

Race One - COMPLETE!!! 

It's been a BIG BIG day today! Therefore this is going to be a BIG BIG post!

Without realising it, today became:
"Project - Let's fit as much into one day as possible but be as unorganised as I can!!". 

Here is an account of my day:

4AM Jacob crying because his nappy is..... full. Nappy change and back to bed.

5AM Sam excited about going to Birthday party so he is awake practising singing "Happy Birthday to you" over and over again.

6AM Me sitting on the couch watching cartoons. (Mixed in with being a responsible parent and feeding my children etc)

7AM Me thinking - "I need to clean the house, it's a big day and lots to do - so LET'S GET ORGANISED - YAY!!"

7.30AM Still sitting on the couch, doing nothing, when Lewy says "Let's go to McDonalds so Sam can have a play and we can have coffee". Me: "YAY! - let's go! Cleaning can wait"

8.30AM At McDonalds.. coffee, playing....

9.30AM On way home from McDonalds me thinking again ""I need to clean the house, it's a big day and lots to do - so LET'S GET ORGANISED!"

10AM Back at home, mucking around, not cleaning, not getting organised, looking at funny things on the internet, doing anything BUT getting organised.

10.30AM Sharon, my mother in law, about to arrive to come with us to Birthday Party... me thinking "Oh no, house messy, not packed for birthday party, not organised at all... LET'S GET ORGANISED - YAY!"

10.45AM Still not organised, quickly wrap present and pack bag... we leave for party.

11AM Party, party, party, bouncy castle, Sam excels at singing "Happy Birthday", food, drink, party bags, playing, party, party, party.

Parties are tiring work

1.30PM Home again from party. Encouraging phone call from Val, start drinking water to hydrate for the run, put feet up, start getting nervous. 

3.30PM Feeling very nervous now, butterflies in my stomach, me thinking "Oh nooooo, what have I done? Why did I sign us up to do this?!!!"

4.30PM Beyond nervous, freaking out. Change into running clothes, start talking non-stop and laughing for no reason (I do this when I'm nervous). 

5.00PM On our way. This is a conversation Lewy and I had in the car:

Lewy: "Are you okay?" 

Me: "Nooooooooooooooo, why did I think this was a good idea? Why did you let me do this? What if I come LAST, I feel sick"

Lewy: "Don't worry - you can do it easy. You know we could've just run around the block, you like to take your hobbies to the extreme don't you?!" 

Me "We'll be FINE - this will be FINE, did I mention we'll be FINE? Of course we'll be fine, I can run 5kms, I definitely can, we'll be fine... hehehe (nervous laughing). Am I saying 'fine' too much? I mean it, we'll be definitely fine.. "

Lewy looking at me most likely thinking "She has lost the plot"

5.25PM We arrive, sign in, get our numbers. LOOK AT EVERYONE AROUND US.

Me: "We are in BIG trouble.. these people are REAL runners, like they have the proper outfits and all!!!"

Lewy: "What did you expect? You did join us up at a MARATHON club!"

Me: " Oh dear Lord, why did I sign us up for a MARATHON club - what on earth was I THINKING??! These people are proper runners... I look like a try-hard runner.. everyone will know I'm a fake!!!"

Lewy encourages me, the siren goes.. and off we run! 

It took about 5 seconds for Lewy and I to separate... I'm slow, he's fast. 

About 1km in.. I'm thinking "DO NOT look behind you, just keep running"

2 seconds later I look behind me. This is a little drawing of what my mind tells me is happening in the race. (Probably not an ACCURATE assumption but not far off!). I tell myself if I can't run faster than a man with a pram then there is a serious problem here!



I manage to run faster than Man with Pram. Phew! (and for the record I do manage to finish before SOME people! NOT LAST.. YAY!)

Half way through, I stop worrying about everyone else, find my stride and finally realise I am a good cross-country runner. I'll never be a sprinter... but if I run at my body's natural stride I can run, run, run, run for a looooooooong time. It's when I worry about not coming last and try to push myself more than my body likes, is when I come undone. SO - I learnt some great lessons tonight and tips I will take with me for the next runs we have planned. 

I really shouldn't be posting this picture... the after shot is never pretty. I was tired, I have a glazed look in my eyes, I'm holding onto the pool table because I'm tired and my body is sore! 


I enjoyed this beer....

So to sum up:

1. We did it - Lewy did GREAT (man, I'm impressed with my husband), I did OK... but we did it!
2. I have learnt important lessons that will help me for future runs
3. I can run faster than a man with a pram
4. Beer tastes so so nice after a big day
5. I am NOT usually unorganised.. this is the COMPLETE opposite of my natural personality which likes to become OCD about organisation and having a tidy house etc.. BUT you won't believe it... the world did not end and the day was still great EVEN though I was unorganised!.. strange.. but true! :)
6. I need to get a better running outfit - my new shorts weren't "real runner" enough.

1 race down - 4 to go!

4 comments:

Valerie said...

WOW!!! I don't know what is more impressive really...the run, the day or how long your blog was for today!!! All very impressive if you ask me~~~!!!
A BIG congrats once again for your run, you made...YAY!!! I can't believe how early your day started and what a busy day indeed, especially leading up to your 1st race!!!
Very very impressive and you definitely deserve that extra dry beer, I bet it tasted fantastic too!!!
What an achievement sweetpea and a day you will never forget!! Even Sam was exhausted, so much fun at the party he even left his whistle in his mouth!!! It's hard life!!! xoxxo

Aaron and Izzie said...

YAY way to go guys! Keep it up!!

Claire said...

:-D completely brilliant, fantastic, entertaining post!!! WELL DONE, you DID IT!!!!!

Laughed out loud at various things... especially how completely disorganised you were all day which is SOOO not you!!

But I particularly love this...

"start talking non-stop and laughing for no reason (I do this when I'm nervous)." hehehe!!

I'm still grinning from ear to ear typing this comment - just brillant!!

Pam said...

how gorgeous is Sam with the whistle, you looked great after your run - you should feel so proud of yourself.