Sunday, January 1, 2012

Nice Try 2011

Um. Nice try 2011..didn't you read my last post about how this year is going to be fabulous?! I think 2011 was trying to be sneaky and give us one last goodbye.

Not long after I published my last post, I heard Jacob coughing inside, so thinking he was choking on his toast, I ran in only to realise after surveying the situation that he had managed to open the 'CHILD PROOF' cap on the eucalyptus oil bottle and take a massive gulp.

It took us less than a minute to realise this was serious and called the ambulance. Let me just say, Jacob is a trooper through and through. So proud of my little guy.

I thought once the ambulance arrived everything would be okay, and they strapped little guy into the bed and popped him into the back and I jumped in with him to head to hospital. It wasn't until I overhead the conversation between the paramedics that I knew something was up. They put on the lights and sirens and sped off to PMH.

On the way, Jacob was not looking good at all and I asked the Paramedic if everything was okay.. he calmly looked at me, hesitated and then said "the problem is, the dosage can be lethal and is toxic and we need to get him to the hospital asap because ....." he did continue talking but I was completely numb by that stage and went into a little bit of shock myself. Let me just say, God received some major SOS prayers from me in that moment.

Once we arrived, Jacob was given a look over and he was pretty sleepy still and just wanting to cuddle me. The nurse did some checks on him and the doctor wanted an ECG done, so he was covered in all those little stickers etc and hooked up. Throughout all of this, little hero stayed still in my arms taking it all in his stride.

Slowly but surely Jacob started to recover and I was so happy to see that things were looking good.

The only photo I took....I was too worried to take any others!

Even while getting the drip put in and getting some blood taken out, Jacob managed to grin at the nurse and doctor and remain calm and smiley.

I have to say, I take my hat off to doctors and nurses. I could not do their job. They are ANGELS in disguise I swear. (Izzie, you are my hero for what you do). While Jacob was resting on my lap, I sat on the bed listening to other children screaming and crying in pain and I couldn't stop the tears flowing. It was awful. A nurse came to check on Jacob and I said to her that it was breaking my heart hearing the other kids. I wanted to go and visit each child and hold their hand and tell them it would be okay. In that moment, I was unbelievably thankful that my little one was okay.

5 hours later we were given the all clear and Jacob was allowed to go home. THANK YOU GOD for watching over my baby and keeping him safe. Please be with all those children who are still in hospital.

What.a.day. Jacob is now fast asleep in bed and I am sipping a glass of white to recover!

Today doesn't count as the first day of the new year...we're starting tomorrow! ha!

4 comments:

Claire said...

Good on you for acting so quickly hun. Wow, SO SO scary, great big hugs to little Jacob, and Mummy!

Lisa said...

Ohh Hun, how scary, but really good you did act so quickly!!! Poor little man, So glad it all was ok. Love to you all xxx

izzie said...

Oh I cried reading this, it's such a helpless feeling when you can't fix things. So so thankful Jacob is ok, what a little trooper and what a good mom! Blessings on your new year, so excited to be a part of it!

Val said...

I still can't believe what a day you had on 1st Jan...OMG...thank goodness Jakey is ok and you guys got the all clear to come home...man what a big day for Jakey and for YOU too hun....try and get some rest when you can today and enjoy that cup of TEA!! xoxox