Sunday, December 19, 2010

Carols by Candlelight

Last night Lewy and I took Sam to Carols in Bassendean while Jacob was fast asleep at Nanna's house.  It was night of adventure :) I had visions of Lewy and I sitting on our chairs with Sam playing nicely on the picnic blanket, and us singing our little hearts out getting into the Christmas spirit. Well, well, it was lovely vision!
Sam getting excited about his new found freedom to run wild

This was the reality:

Picture this... a park packed full of people. It's getting darker.. Sam is wearing glow sticks around his neck, thankfully because for the most of the night that was the only way we could locate him in the crowd. Sam, being one very confident, fear-less, sociable little guy, wanted to individually go and visit everyone at the Carols, run around like a nutter, and investigate the stage and everything that was happening.


Eating cherries, getting his strength up for Project "Embarrass Mummy in front of the whole crowd"

So here we are, Lewy and I sitting back, enjoying the atmosphere when they bring the puppets out and invite all the kids to go to sit down the front to watch the show. Sam bolts to the front, we can see him so this is fine. All the kids sit down, I see Sam is still standing, I figure someone will tell him to sit down so all will be fine. Still standing.... and then I see him starting to walk over to the 'out of bounds' area of the stage which happens to be the actual front of the stage.. in full view of everyone at the park. I realise that unfortunately I am going to have to go into the spotlight to bring Sam back.

So here I am running to the stage, while all the kids are sitting nicely watching the show, Sam bolting up to the choir, past the presenter, right in front of the puppet stand.... he decides to stop here right below the puppets and face the entire audience. I am frantically scrambling almost on my hands and knees to get to him, while trying not to get in the way of the show, apologising to the choir, the presenter and everyone that I am getting in the way of... to grab Sam and pull him to the ground... by this stage I am feeling rather mortified and wanting to get us out of the spotlight as soon as possible!!!

You might need to click on the pic below to enlarge and see the full extent of Sam's adventures. After the first journey to 'out of bounds'.. I took this picture the SECOND time he decided to visit the stage... with another presenter and a puppet... As you can see, by this stage I had given up on being a good and responsible parent and left him to it... :)

Just when you thought I had spared you all from another sky shot........ isn't it beautiful?

So there is a little insight into our night.... life is never dull let me tell you! In all seriousness, and moments of mortification aside, I love that Sam is so full of life, confident and outgoing - as a parent I love to see these characteristics in him. Watch this space, I'm sure I will have plenty more 'Sam Adventure' posts to come!!!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

OMG!!!! Well you told me today what had happened but reading your post...Oh My Goodness....what a full on night... I hope you had your sneakers on??? I bet you and Lewy can't wait for next year??? hee hee ...xxx

Claire said...

Oh Trace... that was seriously HILARIOUS, loved the write-up and the annotated photo!! Love love love it - fantastic haha!!

Pam said...

lol every outing is an adventure with Sam - what a cutie