Friday, August 12, 2011

Day 230 Blue Skies

This weather... you can't help but feel happy when the sun is shining and it's so beautiful outside!







We spent the day with my parents.... it was wonderful :)


Our next door neighbour walking his dog Java... Sam and Java are good friends...


-------------------

I'm totally into Quinoa at the moment...so I get pretty excited when I find a good recipe. I follow a blog (yes, I know it seems like I follow lots - but not really, just a few good ones :) .. called Iowa Girl Eats, full of great meal ideas and delicious food.

Lime Chicken Drumsticks and Quinoa Salad


Chicken Drumsticks served with the Salad for the boys and the Salad for the girl.. we all win :)

Let's start with the Salad.

You will need:
2 cups Quinoa
4 cups of Chicken Stock
1 cup corn
1 can Red Kidney Beans
140g fetta
1 cup Salsa

Combine the quinoa and chicken stock in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa is soft and liquid is absorbed.


While the quinoa cooks, place corn in a dry saute pan over medium heat and cook until it starts to get golden brown.

Combine the cooked quinoa with the beans, corn, salsa & fetta.



Seriously.... it.is.amazing.... AMAZING! So simple, yet so tasty. Lewy (and I) gave it a big thumbs up. 


Now for the chicken. 


You will need:
Chicken drumsticks
Olive Oil
salt & pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 lime, cut into wedges

Brush the chicken legs with olive oil and season with cumin, salt and pepper.



Now, I cooked the chicken in a fry pan on a medium/low heat... as I wanted to get that real crispy skin.. it took, ummmm, awhile. See, this is why I'll never be a professional food blogger... I can't remember how long it took, but it took as long as it takes to vacuum the whole house, clean the toys away, bring in the washing and do the dishes that I had used so far for cooking... does that help?!

You can also just brown the chicken in the frypan and then throw it in the oven to cook....such precise instructions, I know! I know!

Remove the chicken and squeeze the juice of the lime wedges over the chicken.

I am told by Lewy that the chicken was beautiful... so beautiful that he even polished off the left overs in the fridge. Another successful dinner!

-------------------

I've got AMERICA on the brain.... ideas, thoughts, hopes, wishes of what we want to see and do.. not to mention the huge anticipation and excitement of seeing Izzie again and meeting her family after allll this time. Dream come true 1000 times over. I'll be posting up soon of our ideas and places we have decided are a must-see while we are there.

Happy Friday night all xxx

1 comments:

Claire said...

MMMmmmmm that looks really tasty!! It makes me giggle as don't cook so the chances of me ever trying any of these recipes is pretty slim... but I still read them, and just drool!