Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 44, 45, 46 & 47

I have some catching up to do.

This week has been a week of coughing, sneezing, temperatures, restless nights and generally just being miserable. Me, Sam and Jacob have been the patients and Lewy, who thankfully has managed not to catch anything from us, has had a big and tiring week of trying to take care of us when he isn't working. It's been a rough week and is still going as we are on the road to recovery. I'm updating my blog purely because now that it's Day 4 of being at home, I'm starting to miss the outside world!

The house has been a total mess ... this photo was the 'cleanest' mess I could find in the house to photograph.. the rest was so bad there was no way I was going to let anyone see it! As you can see, instead of picking up the blocks (that would have taken way too much energy), we just pushed them aside as we walked to the front door :) 

I knew Sam was unwell at the beginning of the week, when he asked if he could have a picnic breakfast, so after we set up the blanket on the mat, I went to get breakfast ready and came back to see him like this: 

One thing I'm really bad at, is asking for help (from anyone else but Lewy... I'm sure he wishes he was included in the other group!!!).. but yesterday, with the house a complete and utter mess, everything way out of control, me and the boys feeling no energy whatsoever and having to potter around in a cluttered house... I decided it was time to admit that maybe I needed some extra help! First thing Wednesday morning, with all my fingers and toes crossed, and many prayers, I looked on the ever faithful Gumtree to see if I could find a cleaner that could come that day for a one-off clean. I almost cried with relief when I got a message back from a girl named Silvia who said she would be over in the afternoon. 

I spent the morning picking up the mountains of stuff we had lying around everywhere, so that when Silvia arrived she would actually be able to 'see' what she was going to clean :) I also did 3 loads to washing, so that she would be able to walk into the laundry room. 

Silvia was a gorgeous young Italian girl who had been in Australia for 2 months. She and her boyfriend were travelling on a working visa and going where they could find work. She said that they were having trouble finding regular work here in Perth and struggling, so had organised to go to Cairns to work as fruit pickers to help after the water damage. Silvia said she was just as relieved to get my call for cleaning work as I was that she could come on such short notice....it looks like we both had some prayers answered that day! To top it all off, she stayed for 3 hours and did a fantastic job on our house, even while having Sam coming in and out to show her his toys :) Silvia said in her lovely accent "You have beautiful boys, they will be beautiful, beautiful when they are older". It's a shame she is leaving, she was my most favourite person in the whole world yesterday! 

My lovely friend Val phoned me this morning, and boy, was it nice to hear her voice! Then even better, a few hours later I got to see her friendly face for a few moments when she so kindly dropped off her air vapouriser, and a yummy Quiche she had made, along with other goodies for us. It made my day that's for sure! Thank you Val!

Lastly, here is our cat Ginge. Every time I ask Sam what my photo of the day should be, he says Ginge. So this one is for Sam :) 

3 comments:

Valerie said...

It was great seeing you also...even though it was just for a few minutes!! Glad to hear you guys liked the quiche. Please please let me know if I can do anything else, I honestly don't mind!!
ps...Poor Ginge even looks like he is sick too! :-(

Pam said...

Oh the poor little guy. I love the picnic breakfast idea, you'll have me knocking on the door one morning for breakfast :-)

Claire said...

I love the photo of the pathway through the blocks to the door!! So glad you took the plunge and got a cleaner - sometimes you just can't do it all!!