Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 56 The Birthday Post

At 12.05am 3 years ago, after a long, hard 27 hours of labour, my Sam finally made it into the world... well, forcefully dragged into the world actually....he was in no rush to leave my obviously very comfortable belly...and the doctors had to take matters into their own hands and tell Sam enough was enough he was meeting the world whether he liked it or not!!!

The very first thing I remember about Sam were his eyes... oh boy, those eyes.... I can remember exactly how I felt like it was yesterday. I fell in love HARD when I saw those eyes. I hadn't slept since Saturday night and he was born in the early hours of Tuesday morning... but even though I was beyond exhausted and in a world of pain... I could not take my eyes off him and we laid together in the bed staring at each other for hours. Every time I shut my eyes, I would open them 2 seconds later just to stare at him again and touch his face and hold his little hands.  My precious, precious boy.

3 years later, he is just like I imagined he would be. Full of life, with those big blue eyes still dragging me in, making me melt and feeling overwhelming love every time I look at him.

To celebrate Sam's birthday, we started our day by going out for breakfast, then visiting the Landsdale Animal Farm.
































Sam only had one request for his birthday... it wasn't for presents.. but for everyone to wear party hats while we sang Happy Birthday to him. Classic :)



















The Caterpillar Cake was a big hit with Sam. He was so excited and we all put on the hats and sang Happy Birthday just like he wanted.

My mother in law Sharon and I started a tradition for Sam's 1st birthday, which is to make the birthday cake together. It's always a fun and memorable occasion... where the kitchen gets completely messy, we get completely messy, there is lots of laughing, lots of "oh no does this cake look okay?" moments, lots of chatting and always with Lewy hanging around giving 'advice' on how to decorate the cake....all ending with our finished creation. We plan on continuing this tradition with both Sam and Jacob's birthday cakes every year :)


The beautiful sky as we said goodbye to our family who came to celebrate Sam's birthday. It was a big day, but a fantastic one. Sam and Jacob are now tucked up in bed, soundly sleeping.

I've poured myself a nice glass of red, ready to sit back and watch a DVD to finish off a wonderful day.

Happy Birthday, my lovely Sam!!

4 comments:

Pam said...

Happy Birthday Sam. What lovely pictures I hope he had a great day.

Valerie said...

Happy Birthday Sam!! You look like you had a great day!! I LOVE your new haircut!! It looks like you had great fun at the fun and you cake looks very very yummy!! xox

Claire said...

I'm SO glad he had a wonderful day!! The photos are fantastic! Loved your gorgeous words thinking back on Sam's birth - so precious xx

Aaron and Izzie said...

Yay Happy Birthday Sam! What an awesome cake, and I wonderful day!!