Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 185

It's raining... hard.... I love it. I always feel like I'm a little kid when the weather gets unruly, I feel excitement like a big adventure is about to happen!

So this is us today... according to BOM.
Forecast for Tuesday  
Rain, heavy at times, with the risk of a squally thunderstorm. Rain easing to a few showers from late afternoon. Strong and gusty N/NW'ly winds, then becoming fresh W'ly during the afternoon and evening.
Squally thunderstorm... great!

Before the rain started early this morning, me and the boys went outside for a quick look at the sky.  WOW.


--------------

So I'm back to reading this book, after it had been sitting collecting dust for some time. 

The first one, The Pillars of the Earth, was set in the middle of the 12th century and the book centres around the town of Kingsbridge and the building of a Cathedral. 

World Without End takes place in the same town and features the descendants of some Pillars characters two centuries later. It's a great read... fascinating!

I read this paragraph in the book the other day and it hit me hard.. I love it - 

"Mankind is fallible, so we should not rely on our own reasoning. We cannot hope to understand the world - all we can do is stand amazed at God's creation. True knowledge comes only from revelation. We should not question received wisdom". 


Trust me.. you have to read these books... you'll love them!

--------------

So... seen as I'm in a bit of an 'excitable adventure mood' thanks to the weather, I decided to come up with something different to make for our lunch rather than a boring old sandwich (okay, and also because we have no bread left....) and man oh man, I was pleasantly surprised - mouth watering delicious!!!

So simple... just using some left over ingredients...

Mushrooms, grated cheese, chopped up basil leaves & I found a tin of whole tomatoes in the pantry (thankfully as the tomatoes really brings the meal together)

I halved a sheet of shortcrust pastry, layered on the ingredients...

Then rolled it up (after brushing some milk to the edge so that it sticks when you join the edges)

Brushed the top with milk, and sprinkled with dried rosemary ..

Into the oven (at 180)... I can't actually remember how long it took - I'd say around 20 or so mins? Just kept checking back for when the pastry was brown and crunchy...

Make it! Now! It's too yummy not to! 

Sam wholeheartedly gave his approval :)

Happy days!
xxx

3 comments:

Aaron and Izzie said...

That passage is great, I am going to look for that book! I am also out looking at the sky hoping for a storm of our own, not a cloud in sight yet:( Your lunch looked devine, so creative in the kitchen! I am thankful Sam is doing better, enjoy a cozy day inside!

Claire said...

That weather made for a bumpy take-off and a bit of turbulence at the start of the flight... while I was waiting for the seatbelt sign to go off so I could change Hannah's smelly bum!!!! The sky was stunning though ;-)

VERY yummy lunch - I reckon even I could do that one :-D

Jot said...

Ah ha, now I know what I'm making for lunch tomorrow! :)