Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 149

Week 3 - Photography Assignment. 

This past week we had to take photos using the Aperture setting, as well as focus selection (background and foreground focus).  I cheated a tiny bit, and used the photos of Sam and the book that I took awhile ago... (don't worry it's actually allowed if you use old photos to show that you understand the principles of the task!). 


I left this assignment to the last minute and took 10 minutes on Sunday to quickly take some snaps of the plants outside.. the first two photos are using a larger Aperture setting, which helps to blur the background while you focus on the part you want. 


The next two photos are using a smaller Aperture setting, which makes the whole picture more in focus.


I was a bit nervous submitting these photos, even though I understood the principles, time got away from me and I wasn't able to put the time and focus on the assignment as I would have liked.

So you can imagine I was very pleased to get the following result! (By favourite model, my teacher means Sam :)


Hi Tracey … You certainly did well on this lesson AND you used my favorite model!

1. Super good illustration of how you can pick your focus point and make it really work for you. Here your son is in perfect focus with the book and cup being out of the focus zone and the barbecue being slightly soft as well. Terrific.

2. In this one the book and cup are sharp, your son is out of focus and the barbecue in the back is very soft. Being able and knowledgeable about selecting your prime focus spot is critical to making the subject pop out well.

3&4. These two are another good illustration of the ability to select focus and move it around in your image for emphasis. With a large f-stop (f 5.6) you can see the differences very easily.

5&6. Changing your f-stop to f20 (very small opening) you can easily see that the difference between foreground and background focus is slight. Very difficult to see much difference at all.

These were all excellent illustrations of the lesson. Question for you … what is the plant?

Noella



--------------------

So now, I need your help! I actually don't know what the plant is called!!! Does anyone know? Here is a full picture of the plant...



I think after looking at these pictures, we should be pruning them back or something, they look a mess! Have I mentioned before I hate gardening?! Love taking pics of flowers/plants, just hate actually taking care of them ha!
If anyone knows what this plant is called, please tell me!

Enjoy your Monday all! x

2 comments:

Claire said...

Not a gardener here, so can't help with the name of the plant sorry!! But wanted to say well done on the assignment, that's excellent feedback from your teacher! I'd be pleased as punch if that was me!!

Val said...

I agree with Claire...great feedback from the teacher...well done gorgeous!! I'm not sure of the name either....I doubt it is some kind of maple tree as they are large, but the leaves do look similiar to them!! If I was you, I would cut off a leave (very carefully as I know you would hate to hurt it..hee hee) and take down to Bunnings or a Garden Centre and say you would like to buy one similiar...Even if they don't know the name of it, they might come close to it and you can look it up on the net when you get home and let you teacher know....then you will REALLY be in the good books with your teacher!! Teacher's pet!! xxxxx