Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 154 (Saturday) Black and White

A lovely treat last night to have my family over for dinner. It was a good night, yummy food, cups of coffee, lots of laughs and talking. 

Chef Sam assisting Nanna in the kitchen. (Yes I admit, Mum provided the dinner last night! Thanks Mum!)

Beautiful angel, slept peacefully throughout the catch up...


My sister Sindy and her boyfriend Noah.


Oh so serious Sam! Sam and my nephew Caleb having a man to man conversation........

I love this photo, Caleb was on the latop while Sam sat behind him the entire time keeping an eye on things :)

Aunty Pam and Sam enjoying some quality time :)


The men, talking about the renovations...


------------------------

Photography update. Got a good result from my Week 4 assignments... one of the tasks was to spend some time looking at your favourite photos and getting an eye for what it is that draws you to them. (Colours, objects etc) Basically, to figure our your 'visual keys' in photography. It was no surprise that my visual key was the SKY!  On the Flickr site, if you come across someone else's photo that you like, you can add it as your favourite... so you have a section in your profile of all those photos that you like... I used my collection to figure out my visual keys... take a look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceyrankin/favorites/ clearly, the sky makes a recurring theme in all of my favourite photos :) 

It turns out, my teacher secretly doubles as a therapist as well as a photographer... as she got us all to think about why we are attracted to what we are. She told me the story of a Doctor friend of hers that was also attracted to the sky, and it turned out that she felt closed in within her surgery walls, which didn't have much of a view outside, she felt 'hemmed in and under intense pressure', so for her looking at sky provided relief. 
Sound familiar?! I realised, as a stay at home mum, in the same four walls, with a backyard where the patio blocks my view of the sky, I often feel 'closed in' both physically and mentally. Therefore, when I finally get a view of the sky, I feel relief, I feel like my world opens up... plus the fact that for me it brings my attention and focus back to God... for those reasons I am drawn to the sky :) 

My teacher offered the advice of filling your house with your favourite photos... so wherever you look you can see beauty. Great advice, and I plan on doing more of this!

------------------------

Happy, lovely Saturday xx

2 comments:

Aaron and Izzie said...

What a fun night! Also, great advice from your teacher, sounds like you picked a good class!

Claire said...

Fantastic photos of your family dinner - love them! Made me smile to read that about your teacher. The universe works in amazing ways sometimes :-)