Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 261-263 All sorts of stuff!

Well, I promised a big post and I have a feeling I will deliver!


Wednesday - my 'power off' day was far more successful than last week. I was very eager and ready to switch off this morning and happily put on my auto-response to my work email. I did sneak out the camera while I was cooking during the day, but it was worth it to capture the lovely dinner recipe I made! Switching off for a bit is so grounding for me, I love having time to think and spend time with my boys without distraction.

----------------------

I made this dish for my boys on Tuesday night. I promise you, if you want to win brownie points with your hubby or family - then make them this meal.... they will love it! 

Beef & Bacon Pot Pie


You will need:
800g chuck streak/gravy beef, cubed
4 rashers short cut bacon, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup of red wine
1 x 420g can condensed tomato soup
1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted


1. Preheat oven to 160
2. Grease a frypan and brown the beef, then set aside
3. Add bacon and onion to pan and fry until onion becomes soft
4. Add carrots and mushrooms and fry for about 2 minutes



5. Add beef, bay leaf, red wine, soup and mushroom mix to casserole dish.. mix well.
6. Put into oven for 1.5 hours.


7. Take out and place puff pastry over the surface of the meat, tuck around edges. Increase oven to 180.
8. Bake for another 30 minutes.


9. DIG IN!


I served this with steamed Broccoli and Cauliflower. It's a real hearty dish and great for filling up those hungry bellies!
----------------------

After all the early celebrations.. we have finally reached the actual day of Lewy's Birthday. A big big big HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY to my wonderful husband! Due to some travel changes (which you'll hear about it a minute) I decided that Lewy deserved a pretty special birthday present. So first thing this morning, after making a few phone calls (and sneakily getting Lewy's apprentice to suss him out about the finer details of the present!), we headed out and bought him the iPad 2:


 Lewy was one happy chap when he opened his present!

And of course, with a birthday comes a very special birthday dinner....

Tonight I made the boys Avocado Chicken Parmigiana.  It's so easy and apparently, the boys said, extremely delicious!

You will need:

  • 2 chicken breast fillets, halved lengthways
  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups dried breadcrumbs
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup tomato pasta sauce
  • 1 medium avocado, sliced
  • 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat mozzarella cheese


1. Preheat oven to 200, line a tray with baking paper
2. Place flour on a plate, lightly whisk milk and eggs together in a bowl, place breadcrumbs on a place
3. Coat 1 piece of chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture. Coat in breadcrumbs, pressing to secure. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.


4. Spray chicken with oil and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. 


5. Top with 1 heaped tablespoon of pasta sauce, arrange avocado over sauce and sprinkle with cheese. 
6. Bake for 5 - 7 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and golden brown. 


7. Ready to serve! 


I made up a quick side salad with Fetta & Kalamata Olives... 

drizzled with this delicious dressing... the dish was a hit!

What's a birthday without a cake (cheesecake... Lewy's fave).

My boys are eyeing off that cake making sure it doesn't disappear before they get their fair share!


Ohhhhhhh droool!

A lovely evening celebrating my lovely man!
----------------------

America Travel Update


So I have good news and bad news. 

I'll start with the bad news. After lots of discussing and planning, Lewy and I decided that at this stage, it would be easier and a whole lot cheaper, for me just to go to America myself to meet up with my friend. As much as we were disappointed that Lewy can't join me, we have made the pact that in a few years time we will continue to save and plan and nice big family holiday for us all to enjoy. 


Now for the wonderful good news! My flights are finally booked, so I'm all set to fly out in May! Yahoo! America here I come! I'll be staying with my lovely friend Iz (in Colorado, unless they move before May!) and we are hoping to organise a trip to New York for a few days also. I.CANNOT.WAIT.

----------------------

Afternoon hot fun, out comes the summer dresses and pink thongs... as well as a baby attached to my legs :) 


..and hiding in my dress ....


----------------------

Finally (is anyone still reading this?! :) .... I have finished the book! It was not at all what I thought it would be, but oh so much more deeper and thought-provoking, and for that I'm thankful!


Wow. Man this book is pretty heavy. It's jam packed with wise statements, life philosophies, opinions and theories on life and death... some I agreed with, some I certainly didn't, but overall an extremely interesting insight into new perspectives and trains of thought. 

This book doesn't beat around the bush. It has tragedy,  psychological downfall, pain, hope, grasping for a purpose, determination and drive. It's heavy.... but I'm so glad I read it. I learnt a lot, gained an understanding of how others could get through pain and insights into different beliefs. Definitely worth a read, but brace yourselves... it's not all pretty, but will show you that hope springs even in the most darkest hour. 

(I bet you all just read my review and thought NO WAY am I going to read that after her description!).

 On that note... I need a new book to read! Recommendations anyone?

----------------------

I think I can safely say I have made up for my short absence on the blog?!

Happy days! x 

1 comments:

Val said...

This crumbed chicken seriously gets a bashing at our house at lease twice a week...I'm waiting for sonny to say..."Honey...OVERLOAD"!!! It's just too easy and tasty!!! :-)